close

(滑動查看雙語字幕)
Man, I'll never be able to throw a baseball like Ruth.
我覺得我的棒球永遠都不會打得比路斯更好。

He's got so much more skill and talent than me.
他的技術更高,簡直就是個天才。

It's like he was born to be a pitcher.
好像他生來就是一名投手。

If I could throw like him, I'd be so happy.
如果我的投球能像他一樣,我會高興死的。

Man, I'll never be able to throw like Mason.
我覺得我的投球永遠也不可能像梅森那樣好。

Self-improvement!
自我提高!

Seems like a simple concept!
這似乎是一個簡單的概念!

And what I've been learning the more I look into it is that...
但是,當我越來越深入地想要了解……

No, it's not.
我就發現它並不簡單。

It's all over the place.
這個概念隨處可見。

And everyone has some sort of struggle with it at one point or another.
每個人,在某種程度上,都會經歷其中。

And it can be a nightmare.
而且也可能變成一場噩夢。

It's like falling from a tree.
就像從樹上掉下來一樣。

There are so many different branches you can get smacked by.
那麼多樹枝,每一根都可以給你致命一擊。

And I want to talk about it.
我想深入地談談。

Self-improvement is extremely important to me.
自我提高對我來說極其重要。

Out of all the personal values I stand by, it's the one I actively think about the most.
在我堅持的所有個人價值觀中,這是我積極思考最多的一個。

Multiple times a day, I'll end up having some sort of checkup with myself to analyze if I'm doing enough to satisfy myself growth quota.
一天中,我會多次反省自己,分析我是否做了足夠的工作來提升自己。

What can I change to do better?
我能做些什麼來做得更好?

Am I pushing myself???
我是否在推動自己向前???

This isn't good enough yet.
這還不夠好。

WHY DOES EVERYTHING I DO LOOK LIKE SHIT?
為什麼我做的每件事都看起來一團糟。

And that's the pattern I and a lot of people can start to spiral into.
這就是我和很多人,開始進行螺旋式發展的模式。

The concept of self-improvement is really positive and inspiring.
自我提高這個理念真的很積極,很鼓舞人心。

Keep on working to develop yourself and you'll become the better person you could ever dream of!
不斷努力發展自己,你會成為你夢寐以求的更好的人!

You can do anything you set your mind to!
你可以做任何你下定決心要做的事!

Go get them tiger!
去,搞定他們!

Yeah, woo!
耶,哇哦!

That sounds great, except there's also this one complication where some people start having unrealistic expectations and an unhealthy mindset.
這聽起來不錯,但也有一個複雜的問題,一些人開始有不切實際的期望和不健康的心態。

And when they disappoint themselves after their inevitable failure to reach their unrealistic goal,
當他們不可避免地對未能實現不切實際的目標感到失望時,

it cuts them so deeply that it impacts their self-worth right to the core of their being.
他們就會開始懷疑自己,不知道如何擺正自己的位置,直指他們存在的核心。

I struggled with that one a lot.
我在這方面也糾結過很久。

The "I can never be satisfied with what I'm doing and don't think I deserve any recognition" branch.
這種「我永遠不會滿足於目前的成就,也不認為我值得任何認可」的想法。

Just a bad case of impostor syndrome pretty much.
差不多等同於冒名頂替者綜合症。

I'd explain what that is.
稍後再解釋一下這個名詞。

But I don't think I'm qualified enough to do that.
但是我不認為我有足夠的資格去做那件事。

There are much better youtubers than me who are much more deserving of my position.
有比我厲害得多的博主,他們比我更配。

And I don't think I'm worthy of people paying attention to what I say.
我覺得我不值得讓別人注意到我說的話。

Because my content isn't good enough.
因為我的內容不夠好。

And oh...
還有,哦……

I really want to be able to play this really intense piano song.
我真的很希望自己能夠彈奏這首激烈的鋼琴曲。

Because I've never done anything at that difficulty before.
因為我以前從來沒有挑戰過這麼困難的事情。

And I'm gonna push myself out of my comfort level.
我要讓自己跳出舒適圈。

Huh, well, it must have been actually too easy.
嗯,好吧,肯定是這曲子太容易了。

I mean, it's not that creative an achievement.
這根本就不算什麼創造性的成就。

There is much better out there.
外面比我好的多了去了。

Man, I suck.
我太差勁了。

No, do you practice for weeks.
不是的,你練習這首曲子幾周了你不記得了麼?

You earned this.
所以你很棒!

You should be able to be like: yeah!
你應該這樣說:耶!

You know what?
你猜怎麼着?

I'm freaking great.
我太棒了。

And I deserve to feel at least a sliver of satisfaction for myself here!
我應該在這裡至少為自己感到一絲滿足!

You idiot.
你這個笨蛋。

When you're constantly looking for the next bar to hit, you can blind yourself to how far you can come.
當你一直盲目地尋找下一個要去的酒吧時,你可能會看不到你走了多遠。

It's alright, you can actually be proud of yourself without being a so super, cocky douchebag.
沒關係,你其實可以為自己感到驕傲,但是不要成為一個超級自大的混蛋。

Since I value improvement so much,
既然我這麼看重自我提高,

any sense of satisfaction with something would make me worried that I was settling and I wouldn't push myself anymore.
任何對某件事的滿足感都會讓我擔心我正在安定下來,我不會再強迫自己了。

Hindsight is 20/20 and I'm able to see how actually super toxic and damaging that thought process was.
後見之明是沒什麼用的,這個思維過程實際上不具有任何積極的意義。

I wasn't pushing myself out of passion like I thought I was.
我沒有像我想的那樣把自己的激情逼出來。

It was all just a disguise.
這一切都只是一種偽裝。

Let's see who the culprit really was!
讓我們看看誰才是真正的罪魁禍首!

What?
什麼?

Oh no, it was actually pushing myself too hard out of blind fear of becoming complacent.
哦,不,這實際上只會讓自己感到盲目的恐懼,把自己逼得太緊了,擔心會變得自滿。

I got Jinky.
我有點神經質了。

Self-improving also pertains to self-help.
自我提高也與自助有關。

You can't grow as a person when you're holding a whip to yourself.
當你手握鞭子的時候,你不能得到很好的成長。

Can you whip yourself?
你能抽打自己嗎?

I looked it up and ended up at a page I didn't want.
我查了一下,但是卻翻到了我不想看到的那一頁。

But the analogy stands.
但這個類比是成立的。

You know that SpongeBob episode where SpongeBob was like, verbally abusing his snail.
你知道《海綿寶寶》吧,有一集,海綿寶寶不斷地辱罵他的蝸牛。

And then it ends up exploding?
然後蝸牛就爆炸了?

This is your brain on negativity.
這是你的大腦對消極的看法。

Any questions?
有什麼問題嗎?

A big trip up can also be comparing yourself to other people.
一次旅行也可能是為了和別人相比。

There are definitely positive aspects of being inspired by people you look up to.
受到你尊敬的人的鼓舞,肯定對自己來說有一定的積極影響。

But like most things, too much of anything can be bad.
但就像大多數事情一樣,任何東西吃得太多都可能是不好的。

There's always gonna be people of a higher skill set than you.
總會有比你技能更高的人。

So, you should try to identify who you are.
所以,你應該試着認清你是誰。

Not who to compare yourself to.
而不是拿自己和誰比較。

I won't be exactly like Bob.
我無法像鮑勃那樣完美。

He's super great and funny and really smart.
他超級棒,很風趣,而且真的很聰明。

But I'm not Bob.
但我不是鮑勃。

I'm such a failure.
我只是個失敗者。

If everyone compared their skillsets to each other in order to calculate how much skill and potential they have,
如果每個人都將自己與其他人比較,以計算他們有多少技能和潛力,

then all Infant children should just give up on everything.
那麼所有的嬰兒都應該無法繼續活下去了。

You think time and practice is gonna help you improve your drawing ability, baby??
你認為時間和練習會幫助你提高繪畫能力嗎,寶貝??

Well think again.
那就再想一想吧。

You suck right now.
你現在太差勁了。

So you might as well just throw in the towel your pathetic little waste of diapers.
所以你不妨認輸,你看看你都浪費了多少尿布了。

Look at your drawing compared to van Gogh.
看看你的畫和梵高相比。

You call those sunflowers?
你把那些叫做向日葵?

This scribbled math shows no potential of improvement in the art field.
你這幅畫就像幅草圖,可以說在藝術界完全拿不出手。

And you've even got more ears than him.
而且你的耳朵還比梵高多。

You could have like seven years and still not be capable of creating a fraction of anything that could be considered art.
你可能花了七年的時間,但是還是無法創作出任何一件藝術品。

You're NOTHING.
你什麼都不是。

NOTHING!!
什麼都不是。

Everyone's on their own timeline.
每個人都有自己的時間表。

Even if someone is the same age, or maybe even younger than you, it's still not okay to compare how much further they are to you.
即使有人和你同齡,甚至可能比你小,也不能拿他們和你作比較。

Jeremiah was able to hopscotch to number EIGHT when he was five.
耶利米五歲時就能跳到第八名了。

I'm 21 and STILL get tripped up at the five and six combo.
我21歲了,但還是跳不好5和6號combo。

It's all right.
沒事的。

Everyone's got different variables pushing them forward and backwards.
每個人都有不同的變量在推動他們前進和倒退。

Jeremiah has four legs and you've only got one.
耶利米有四條腿,而你只有一條。

You'll get there with enough practice chimp.
你練習得夠多,你也能跳得很好。

You've also got to think about why you want to improve something.
你還必須想一想,為什麼你想要提高自己?

Is it for yourself or?
是為了自己嗎?

Because you think that's what other people want from you.
還是因為其他人的想法?

If you make choices based on what others want, then oops, you played yourself.
如果你是為了別人的想法,那麼,你就是在玩弄自己。

All of a sudden in three years, you're hit with the realization that you don't know who you are.
三年後,你突然意識到自己不知道自己是誰。

And you're just a living amalgamation of other people's expectations.
你只是別人期望中的某個人罷了。

Zoinks.
完犢子。

When I was nine, I had a friend who said her favorite color is blue.
當我九歲的時候,我有一個朋友說她最喜歡的顏色是藍色。

So I said my favorite color was blue too because I wanted her to like me.
所以我說我最喜歡的顏色也是藍色,因為我想讓她喜歡我。

And that gave us something in common.
這讓我們能擁有一些共同點。

Real critical nine-year-old thinking there.
九歲的小孩居然會有這樣的想法。

For years, I kept with that pattern of becoming a person I thought other people would like and saying my favorite color was blue.
多年來,我一直保持着這樣的模式,即成為一個我認為其他人會喜歡的人,並說我最喜歡的顏色是藍色。

Because people who like purple are freaks.
因為喜歡紫色的人都是怪胎。

Until one year in high school I suddenly had an identity crisis.
直到上高中的某一年,我突然有了身份危機。

And a whole mental breakdown being like: I don't know who I am anymore.
整個精神都崩潰了,我不知道我是誰了。

All my personality traits are based on things I've modified for other people.
我所有的性格特徵都是為了迎合別人而改過來的。

My favorite color isn't even blue!!!!
我最喜歡的顏色不是藍色!

We ended up painting my bedroom walls from blue to white because of that meltdown.
因為這次的危機,我還把我臥室的牆壁從藍色漆成了白色。

Don't paint your wall as a color based on lies from when you were nine.
不要根據你九歲時的謊言把你的牆塗成一種顏色。

Let's flip the coin and talk about the other side of the improvement spectrum.
讓我們擲硬幣,談談改善的另一面。

As much as people can attach their self-worth to their failures or shortcomings, which is not good and you should not do that.
人們儘可能多地把自己的自我價值附加到他們的失敗或缺點上,這是不好的,你不應該這樣做。

The same can be applied to earning achievements.
同樣的道理也適用於成功。

It's not uncommon for people to improve, experience success and then not feel the need to push themselves any further,
人們取得了進步,體驗到了成功,然後覺得沒必要再鞭策自己了,這並不少見,

which can melt into them being so absorbed in their accomplishments that they attribute it to their self-worth,
他們會只關注自己的成就,然後將其融入自身價值之中,

becoming arrogant and a sociopath the douchebag.
變得傲慢,成為一個反社會的混蛋。

Jaden, this is getting confusing.
賈登,這太讓人困惑了。

Are you supposed to be proud of ourselves or not?
你應該為自己感到驕傲嗎?

No, yes.
不,是的。

Be proud of yourself.
為自己感到驕傲。

But don't get too caught up and...
但別太着急了……

It's okay.
沒關係的。

All this stuff gets so tricky and I swear we're all just destined to get hit by a meteor and perish.
因為這個世界是很複雜的,我覺得我們都註定會被流星擊中而滅亡。

Yes, you should be proud of your achievements and improvements.
是的,你應該為你的成就和進步感到自豪。

But it's dangerous to link them or anything to your self-worth or personality.
但是將它們或任何事情與你的自我價值或個性聯繫起來是危險的。

Because that's how you either think you're as worthless as a speck of dust or brainwash yourself into thinking you're the reincarnation of God.
因為你要麼認為自己像一粒灰塵一樣一文不值,要麼洗腦自己,認為自己是上帝的轉世。

Just don't let your success slash failure meter affect your personal behavior meter.
不要讓你的成功影響到你對自身的認知。

And it'll be fine.
一切都會好起來的。

I've asked a bunch of my friends on their opinion on what to do in situations when you've gone off the deep end and think you're all that and about your success chips.
我問過我的一群朋友,當你走投無路,認為自己就是平平無奇的一個人的時候,他們會怎麼做,會怎樣看待自己的成就。

And we all agreed it just comes down to self-awareness.
我們都認為,歸根結底就是對自我的認識。

When you're surrounded in a mess of your own success and so high up on a horse that you can't hear the echoes of reality.
當你被自己的成功弄得一團糟,騎着一匹馬高高在上,聽不到現實的回聲時。

YOU SUCK.
你啥也不是。

The only person that can make a difference is your own reality check and desires to change.
唯一能做出的改變就是你自己對現實的審視和改變的願望。

There's also a tendency for successful people to be surrounded by Yes Men and people who will always agree with everything.
還有一種趨勢是,成功的人周圍都是「贊同」的聲音,同意他們做的任何事情。

Isn't that right?
這可以嗎?

Yeah, totally, totally.
是的,當然可以,完全沒問題。

You're So smart.
你太聰明了。

God she's always right.
天哪,她總是對的。

So, it can be really difficult to get that window of clarity where you can actually see the consequences of who you've become.
所以,要想讓你真正清楚地看到自己成為什麼樣的人會帶來什麼樣的後果,這真的很難。

And don't get me started on how seeing criticism gets.
我知道會有批評,但是批評到底是怎麼回事兒呢?

I think you could move the eyes down more there a bit...
我想你可以把視線再往下移一點……

YOU ARE JUST A HATER!
你就是討厭我!

AND I DON"T NEED YOU IN MY LIFE!!!
我又不需要你!

There are different methods to improvement, too.
當然,自我提升的方法也不同。

You can be actively seeking to learn more and mindfully decipher what you need to do to grow.
你可以積極尋求學習更多知識,並用心解讀你需要做些什麼才能成長。

Or you can just do your thing, and over time keep on perfecting your skill.
或者你可以只做你自己的事,然後隨着時間的推移不斷完善你的技能。

There's a lot that goes into self-improvement.
自我提升是個複雜的概念。

It's a whole balancing act of understanding what you want and not taking things personally and staying humble and not getting hit by meteors.
這需要一個完整的平衡,既要理解你想要的是什麼,又不要把事情放在心上,要保持謙虛,不要被流星擊中。

But believe it or not, with a lot of time and figuring yourself out, it's very manageable,
信不信由你,只要有充足的時間、弄清楚自己的定位,那一切都會變得很容易,

and can become one of the strongest tools you can use to become a really balanced, awesome, humble, incredible super cool person like me.
自我提升可以成為你最強大的工具之一,你可以用它將自己變成一個真正平衡發展的,令人敬畏的,謙遜的,不可思議的人,就像我一樣。

素材來源:Youtube


arrow
arrow
    全站熱搜
    創作者介紹
    創作者 鑽石舞台 的頭像
    鑽石舞台

    鑽石舞台

    鑽石舞台 發表在 痞客邦 留言(0) 人氣()