
TED英語演講課
給心靈放個假吧
演講題目:Siri, Alexa, Google... what comes next?
演講簡介:
從Siri到Alexa再到谷歌,智能助手已經滲透到我們的生活中。下一代的數字助手會是什麼樣的?客戶體驗專業人士凱倫·萊洛切·托德曼為我們展示了這一領域未來的發展方向,並分析了工程師需要解決的兩個關鍵挑戰,以迎接真正智能語音助理的新時代。
中英文字幕
It's Monday morning.
周一早晨。
You've just received a voice notification from your voice assistant.
你剛接到來自語音助理的語音通知。
Good morning.
早安。
There's a new pair of pants on sale at your favorite store.
有新的一條褲子在你喜歡的店面出售。
Last week, while wearing your smart glasses, you were drawn to a similar pair on a colleague.
上周,當你戴着智能眼鏡時,你被同事穿的相似褲子所吸引。
Would you like to wear them to the party on Thursday?
你想穿着它參加周四的派對嗎?
I suggest you skip the movies tomorrow night to afford them.
我建議你不去看明天晚上的電影才能買得起它。
Say yes to validate the purchase.
說「好」以驗證你的訂購。
Let me know if I should also find a gift for your host.
讓我知道我是否應該為派對的主辦人找份禮物。
I can make suggestions based on your budget and her public Instagram profile.
我能根據你的預算和她的Instagram公開資料給予建議。
Say yes to proceed.
說「好」以示繼續。
Yes.
好。
So, thrilling or scary?
那麼,這看似刺激還是可怕?
Because this is how our future could look very soon.
因為這是我們以後很快會看到的。
As a working mom, I find it exciting.
身為一個職場媽媽,我認為這令人振奮。
I would love to stop doing Google searches, wasting time doing Amazon scrolling, budget calculation or optimizing my calendar.
我真希望自己不用再進行谷歌搜索、浪費時間瀏覽亞馬遜的網頁、計算預算或者將我的行事曆最佳化。
What is thrilling is the prospect of having a companion that would cater specifically to my needs and requests.
刺激的是我們在未來可能會有個專門迎合我的需要和要求的同伴。
Just imagine, it could do things, like using my heart rate to tweak my Starbucks order to reduce caffeine.
想象一下它將能做的事,例如按照我的心率來更改我的星巴克訂單以減少咖啡因。
It could take into account my lunch and the number of steps I've walked to tailor a workout for me.
它也能根據我吃的午餐和我的行走步數來制定量身定做的健身計劃。
It could even align with my friend's smart assistant to craft evening plans that would fit everyone's budget, calendars and locations.
它甚至能與我朋友的智能助理合作制定符合大家的預算、行程和地點的晚間計劃。
Obviously, this scenario could easily lean towards the scary.
顯然,這個場景很輕易就能變成眾人懼怕的場面。
This is why there needs to be regulation in place.
因此,我們有必要實施管制。
All users, all consumers,
所有用戶,
should always remain in full control of data they share and on which type of recommendations they agree to get or not to get.
應時刻確保自己所分享的信息和願否收到的推薦都在自己的全面管制內。
Now, recommendation engines powered by artificial intelligence are not new.
如今,智能推薦引擎已不新奇。
Far from it.
實際上,它與新奇離得遠。
We actually use them multiple times a day already.
我們其實已在一天內多次使用它。
On average, 70 percent of the time spent on YouTube is on videos recommended by their algorithm.
我們平均把用在YouTube上的七成時間花在他們的計算程式所推薦的視頻上。
And you may also own a wristband that you use to track your sleep or monitor your workout.
而你也或許有個能追蹤睡眠或檢測健身過程的智能手錶。
And there's the first generation of voice-enabled virtual assistants.
還有第一代設有語音功能的虛擬助理。
You know, like Google Home or Amazon Alexa that you can use to change the temperature of your room.
就如你所知的谷歌家或亞馬遜Alexa能用來調節房間溫度。
Your car as well is probably equipped with the same things that can help you manage your music or give you directions, hands-free.
你的車輛或許也具備相似的功能,幫你管理你的音樂或提供免觸屏的導航服務。
But there is one thing that all these tools have in common.
但這些數碼工具都有一個相同之處。
They leverage AI to help you in one specific area of your life.
它們動用人工智能對你人生中的某一方面施予援助。
Your home.
你的家。
Your car.
你的車。
Your health.
你的健康。
They stay in the lane.
它們只會待在同一車道。
Now imagine a new generation of voice assistants that crosses all lanes, that synchronizes everything.
現在想象一個跨越所有車道、同步一切的新世代語音助理。
So you may ask, why hasn't this happened already?
所以你可能會問:「這為何還沒發生呢?」
Because there are two technological bricks that are critical to make this happen that are still missing.
因為我們還缺少能促成此事的兩大緊要的科技因素。
One is voice.
第一個是聲音。
These tools must be able to understand everything we say.
這些數碼工具必須能理解我們所說的一切。
And clearly, this is not the case today.
而現在它們顯然還未能做到。
For my kids, maybe yours as well, Siri is still an endless source of fun.
對我的孩子、甚至你們的孩子來說,Siri依舊能帶來無窮的樂趣。
They like asking very simple questions and still get very confused answers.
他們喜歡問非常簡單的問題但依然會得到非常困惑的答案。
Two, breadth.
第二,寬度。
They must be able to provide a large range of recommendations to cover whatever we may need.
這些數碼科技須能提供廣泛的推薦以覆蓋我們的一切所需。
So tech players are still working on cracking those two elements, voice and breadth.
因此科技業者仍在致力於改善語音和寬度這兩個元素。
On voice, as I said, Alexa, Google Home, Siri and the likes.
至於語音,就如我所言,Alexa、谷歌家、Siri等智能助理,
They don't understand us entirely and systematically for now.
至今不完全理解,也無法系統性地理解我們所說的話。
Actually, understanding human language is difficult.
實際上,想理解人類的語言並非易事。
It's as much about the context as it is about the words themselves.
它既關乎語境也關乎文字。
And think about the accents or background noise.
而且試考慮說話的語調或背景噪音。
It's already very difficult for Americans to understand French people speaking English,
對美國人來說,想理解法國人所說的英語已十分困難。
so can you imagine how difficult it can be for a robot?
所以你能想象這對機器人來說會有多困難嗎?
So tech players are working hard on this.
因此科技業者正往這方面做出努力。
In 2018, Google launched an investment program for start-ups that would work with their Google Home suites.
在2018年,谷歌為起步公司推出一項能與谷歌家應用協作的投資計劃。
And since then, they have invested in over 15 companies.
而自那以後他們已投資超過15家公司。
Amazon has 10,000 employees working on Alexa voice technologies.
亞馬遜有1萬名員工投入於改善Alexa語音科技的工作。
So they will eventually crack the voice issues.
所以他們終究會解決語音方面的問題。
The smart assistants will be able to understand what we say, the meaning of the words in their context.
這些智能助理將能理解我們說的話和當中的語義。
For example, if I'm using my smart assistant, and I'm listening to music.
比如,若我在聽音樂時使用智能助理,
And then I say, Change.
說:更換。
Hi, Karen.
凱倫,您好。
Do you want to change the temperature of the room?
您想更換房間的溫度嗎?
Well, clearly this is not working yet.
很明顯,這還未行得通。
But in the future, it will understand that I'm talking about changing the track, not changing the temperature of the room.
但將來,它會明白我說的是更換音樂,而不是更換房間的溫度。
It will also understand our long and complex requests.
它也會明白我們長而複雜的要求。
You know, when we start saying something and then we change our mind mid-sentence.
比如當我們開始說話時,只說到一半便改變主意。
But that doesn't stop here.
但它能做的不止於此。
With far-field speech recognition, you will be able to use it from a distance, from a room to another.
有了遠程語音識別,你將能從遠處使用它,從這裡到另一房間,
Even with background noise like kids screaming or traffic.
就算有小孩的尖叫聲或交通噪聲等背景噪音的干擾。
Tremendous progress has been made on this recently, largely due to Amazon's efforts on their Echo speaker technology.
近年來,基於亞馬遜在他們的回音音箱技術上做出的努力,該數碼工具的發展已突飛猛進。
Not only that.
不止這樣。
It will be able to understand in which mood you're in.
它將能了解你的心情,
Joy, sadness, annoyance...
不管是快樂,悲傷,還是心煩……
...and will be able to mimic these feelings too.
並且能模仿這些情感。
And as natural language processing advances further,
而隨着在背後運轉的自然語言處理的進一步發展,
so natural language processing is the technology behind this.
這樣的智能語音交互,
So as it advances further, the voice-enabled interactions will increasingly be refined.
將會被愈發改進,變得越來越先進。
Now, the second challenge and the biggest, in my opinion, revolves around the breadth of recommendations provided.
依我看,第二且最大的挑戰關係到智能助理所提供的推薦的寬度。
Will they be able to...
它們能否……
What will be their range of actions?
它們行動的範圍到底有多廣?
Will they remain limited to very specific tasks?
它們將繼續局限於很具體的任務,
Or will they be able to become a true companion across your day to which you can ask whatever you want, whatever you need?
還是能成為你日常生活中的真正夥伴,讓你能針對所有想要和需要的發出請求?
For example, taking notes in a meeting or reordering milk or even mental health coaching.
比如,在會議上做筆記或者重新訂奶又或者提供心理健康輔導。
Will they be able to provide you recommendations across product categories?
它們能否提供跨越眾多產品類別的推薦?
Today, companies provide us recommendations within one specific category, for example, that can help us choose between two dresses,
今天,公司只在某個特定的類別內給予推薦,例如在兩條裙子,
between two books.
或兩本書之間做出選擇。
In the future, the smart assistants will actually be able to help us choose between buying a book or buying a dress.
將來,智能助理將能幫助我們在購買書本和購買裙子之間做出選擇。
So to be able to deliver this integrated and large range of recommendations,
所以若想讓智能助理有能力提供綜合和廣泛的推薦,
tech teams behind smart assistants will need to design the right algorithms.
它們背後的技術組必須設計對的計算程序。
And these algorithms will need to be powerful enough to process a myriad of data points.
而該程序需有足夠的能力處理萬千數據點,
To identify patterns, to model courses of actions, and also to learn from end users' feedback.
以便能辨識規律、規劃爾後的作法和從終端用戶給予的反饋中學習。
But a world where smart assistants become unavoidable means new priorities for all companies, not only the smart assistant players.
但是,一個智能助理成為必然之事的世界意味着所有公司將列入新的優先事項,而不只是投入智能助理行業的公司。
Every business in the future will need to accelerate drastically on data and algorithm, on voice-enabled interactions.
每個企業在未來都需大幅度加快數據、演算法和語音交互服務的發展。
And also, they will need to be entrusted by consumers to provide recommendations.
此外,他們在推薦供給方面也需得到消費者的信任。
This is what I like to summarize in three words, in the three imperatives that are data, tech and trust.
我想用三個關鍵字概括整個演講:數據、技術和信任。
So the moment the breadth challenge and the voice challenge get solved will be a tipping point in smart assistant usage and adoption by consumers.
因此寬度和語音問題被解決的那一刻將會是智能助理被消費者大量使用和採納的引爆點。
Today, can you live without your smartphone?
今天,你能否在沒有智能手機的情況下活下去?
I assume not, right?
我猜應該不能吧?
In a few years from now, your smart assistant will be a convenient, powerful, reliable helper essential in your day-to-day life.
在未來的幾年後,你的智能助理將會是個方便、強勁、可靠的幫手,在你的日常生活中不可或缺。
So you won't be able to live without it.
因此沒了它,你就無法活下去。
And unlike your smartphones, it will be embedded in every device around you.
與智能手機不同的是,它會置入你周圍的每一個電子設備。
Your smartphone itself, of course, but also your car, the mirrors, your fridge, your glasses and who knows what other device in the future.
當然,這包括你的智能手機,但你的車子、鏡子、冰箱、眼鏡和未來會出現的其他設備都包括在內。
So are you ready for a smarter life?
所以,你們準備好迎接更智能的生活嗎?
Yes, Karen, I am.
是的,凱倫,我準備好了。
Thank you.
謝謝。

視頻、演講稿均來源於TED官網
●馬斯克抱水槽進推特總部大樓,社交平台簡介已改為「推特老大」!
●蘇納克當選英國首位印度裔首相,拜登表示這極具「開創性」,印度網民直呼「報仇了」!
●【TED演講】一個超越交通擁堵的未來

