
TED英語演講課
給心靈放個假吧
演講題目:Art made of storms
演講簡介:
藝術家娜塔莉·米巴赫(Nathalie Miebach)從大規模風暴中獲取天氣數據,並將其轉化為體現自然和時間力量的複雜雕塑。這些雕塑隨後成為弦樂四重奏的樂譜。
中英文字幕
What you just heard are the interactions of barometric pressure, wind and temperature readings that were recorded of Hurricane Noel in 2007.
你剛剛聽到的是我們在2007年錄下的諾爾颶風的氣壓,風速和氣溫數據。
The musicians played off a three-dimensional graph of weather data like this.
音樂家們演奏了這樣一張天氣數據的三維圖表。
Every single bead, every single colored band, represents a weather element that can also be read as a musical note.
每一個珠子和彩帶代表着一個氣象元素,也可以視作一個音符。
I find weather extremely fascinating.
我發現氣候是非常令人驚嘆的東西。
Weather is an amalgam of systems that is inherently invisible to most of us.
氣候是我們大多數人看不見的系統的結合。
So I use sculpture and music to make it, not just visible, but also tactile and audible.
所以我用雕塑和音樂來創造它,不只是讓其可見,並且可以觸摸和聽到。
All of my work begins very simple.
我所有的工作開始都很簡單。
I extract information from a specific environment using very low-tech data collecting devices -- generally anything I can find in the hardware store.
我用很低技術含量的數據收集裝置提取特定環境的信息——工具就是你能在五金店找到的那些。
I then compare my information to the things I find on the Internet -- satellite images, weather data from weather stations as well as offshore buoys.
然後我把收集到的信息和網上可查的氣象站和海上浮標的衛星雲圖及氣象數據進行對比。
That's both historical as well as real data.
包括歷史數據和實時數據。
And then I compile all of these numbers on these clipboards that you see here.
你可以在這些速記板上看見我匯編的這些數據。
These clipboards are filled with numbers.
這些剪貼板上都是數字。
And from all of these numbers, I start with only two or three variables.
在這些數字里我從兩三個變量開始。
That begins my translation process.
這就開始了我的翻譯工作。
My translation medium is a very simple basket.
我的翻譯工具就是個籃子。
A basket is made up of horizontal and vertical elements.
一個由經緯線組成的籃子。
When I assign values to the vertical and horizontal elements, I can use the changes of those data points over time to create the form.
當我對縱軸和橫軸賦值,我就能用長期積累的數據來編織其形態。
I use natural reed, because natural reed has a lot of tension in it that I cannot fully control.
我用的是蘆葦,葦因為蘆葦很有韌性,我無法完全控制。
That means that it is the numbers that control the form, not me.
這就意味着這些數字控制其形狀,而不是我。
What I come up with are forms like these.
最後得到的造型是這樣的。
These forms are completely made up of weather data or science data.
這些造型完全是通過氣象數據或者說科學數據形成的。
Every colored bead, every colored string, represents a weather element.
每一個珠子和彩帶都是一個氣象元素。
And together, these elements, not only construct the form,
這些元素不僅僅組成了這個雕塑,
but they also reveal behavioral relationships that may not come across through a two-dimensional graph.
也展示了二維圖片無法展現的元素間的行為關係。
When you step closer, you actually see that it is indeed all made up of numbers.
當你靠近它可以看出它確實由數字組成的。
The vertical elements are assigned a specific hour of the day.
縱軸是一天裡的具體時間。
So all the way around, you have a 24-hour timeline.
所以一圈是24小時。
But it's also used to assign a temperature range.
同時也表示氣溫的範圍。
On that grid, I can then weave the high tide readings, water temperature, air temperature and Moon phases.
在此框架下我就能把高潮數據水溫,氣溫和月相編進去。
I also translate weather data into musical scores.
我也把氣象數據翻譯成樂譜音符。
And musical notation allows me a more nuanced way of translating information without compromising it.
而音樂符號提供了一種更細緻的沒有損失的信息翻譯方式。
So all of these scores are made up of weather data.
這些樂譜都是用氣象數據寫成的。
Every single color, dot, every single line, is a weather element.
每一種顏色,每一個點,每一條線,都是一個氣象元素。
And together, these variables construct a score.
這些變量共同組成樂譜。
I use these scores to collaborate with musicians.
我用這些樂譜和音樂家們編曲。
This is the 1913 Trio performing one of my pieces at the Milwaukee Art Museum.
這是1913年的Trio在密爾沃基美術館演奏我的一件作品。
Meanwhile, I use these scores as blueprints to translate into sculptural forms like this,
同時我使用這些樂譜作為藍圖,轉變這樣的雕塑,
that function still in the sense of being a three-dimensional weather visualization,
仍然具備三維化可視氣候的功能。
but now they're embedding the visual matrix of the musical score, so it can actually be read as a musical score.
但現在有了可視的樂譜嵌入其中,它就可以作為一個樂譜閱讀。
What I love about this work is that it challenges our assumptions of what kind of visual vocabulary belongs in the world of art, versus science.
我喜歡這個作品的一點是它挑戰了我們對可視詞彙在科學世界和藝術世界中的假設。
This piece here is read very differently depending on where you place it.
這個作品被放置不同的地方,有不同的解讀方法。
You place it in an art museum, it becomes a sculpture.
你把它放在藝術博物館,就是個雕塑。
You place it in a science museum, it becomes a three-dimensional visualization of data.
你把它放在科學博物館裡,它就變成了數據的三維可視化。
You place it in a music hall, it all of a sudden becomes a musical score.
放在音樂廳它又成了一份樂譜。
And I really like that, because the viewer is really challenged as to what visual language is part of science versus art versus music.
我喜歡這點,因為這對觀眾常認為可視化語言是科學的一部分而不是藝術和音樂的看法是一種挑戰。
The other reason why I really like this is because it offers an alternative entry point into the complexity of science.
另一個原因是它提供了一種不同的接觸科學複雜性的視角。
And not everyone has a Ph.D. in science.
不是每個人都有個自然科學學科的博士學位。
So for me, that was my way into it.
因為對我來說,這是我的方式。
Thank you.
謝謝。

視頻、演講稿均來源於TED官網
●中國此地即將「0+0」全面放開,北京馬拉鬆開跑在即
●【TED演講】解構慈善事業
●關於孔子,你不知道的7件事兒

